Thursday, March 17, 2011

"My Burden is Light"



I recently was able to attend Sunday School and watch my lovely daughter teach. She did a great job! The lesson was centered on the scripture found in Matthew 11:28-30.

28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

This has been a favorite of mine. I think we all feel heavy laden at times. I remember the feeling of backpacking and of taking off that load when we have reached our destination. What a great feeling. That is what the Savior does for us. He has carried that burden. He has made us free.

The next verses have made me wonder, though. How is it that his yoke is easy and his burden light? His burden was the greatest ever to be placed on the back of one of God's children. One of the students in the class made a comment that made a lot of sense to me. She commented that a yoke of oxen is never singular. It is a device that ties the two beasts together. Walking, side by side, the load is shared. We are invited to come under the Savior's yoke and walk with him. His yoke is easy because he has already born the greatest burden. As we walk in the paths that he walks and do the things that he does we gain his strength and we arrive where he arrives. It is the process by which we get to know our Lord and be known of him (see Mosiah 5:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment