Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Modern Apostle


I had a rough day Saturday. I was as discouraged as I have been in a long time. Going to church, I felt much better. I was quite nervous to teach Sunday School today as I was not feeling very positive. I prayed that the Lord's spirit would be there and I was not disappointed. I felt so uplifted by the lesson and the comments that were shared in the class. I love being able to teach from the scriptures, what a blessing in my life.

One of the patterns that Jesus established when he walked on the earth was to call twelve men to be his apostles. Holy men that knew him and were special witnesses of his name to the world. The restored gospel message is that Jesus still calls men on the earth today and reveals to them his will. We have today, twelve men-apostles-who know and testify of the Savior. Gina and I were privileged to attend a meeting this evening where one of the twelve, Elder D. Todd Christofferson, presided. Having such an experience is a pretty rare occurrence. He spoke to us of where Jesus has been known to walk but then explained that to know Jesus, we don't need to walk where Jesus has walked but rather to walk as Jesus walked. There was such a calm peaceful spirit about him. At the end of the meeting he said that he would be honored to have us come shake his hand. We briefly did so. Someone watching said that she noticed that all who came down after greeting him had a smile on their face. I had to agree. As discouraged as I felt yesterday, I felt equally hopeful tonight. I am grateful to feel of the Lord's love, to know that He lives and will guide as today as he has in the past.

1 comment:

  1. So wonderfully said. It was a very sacred experience for me tonight as well. Hard to describe. Thank you for saying it for me.

    ReplyDelete