Saturday, March 21, 2020

And So it Begins

I've decided to jot down some thoughts, hopefully each day as there seems to be some interest in my perspective on the Corona Virus situation since I am a primary care physician.  I truly don't have an agenda other than sharing. Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer them as I am able.

As I talked with my partner yesterday I said that I feel like we are sitting in the eye of a hurricane, the calm before the storm. Living in a "flyover" state has its advantages given the situation in New York, California and the Chicago area. That said, our turn is coming.

Two weeks ago I felt tremendous anxiety in regards to my situation as both a leader in my church and our policies in the office.  At church we had discussions about when to shut down our weekly sacrament meeting.  We met a few days later and decided that if schools shut down or the health department declared no gatherings that we would keep people at home. The very next day I felt even more uncomfortable and called the Stake President (our regional leader that I work with) and we decided that I would call our Area Authority, Elder Hintze who is also a doctor.  I immediately called and as we were talking on the phone, the general leaders of our church released the announcement that all in person meetings would be cancelled for the foreseeable future in the whole world.  That was a huge relief and an answer to prayer.

The next day, Friday March 13, my anxiety turned to my office. After talking to all my partners and our regional managers we met together that evening. Specifically, we discussed what to do with our patients who were coming for routine visits that were not ill.  We decided unanimously to suspend those visits and do everything that we could over the phone to limit exposure to our vulnerable patients, our staff and ourselves.  We put in place procedures this week that I believe has served as well but still kept us in touch with our patients.  There are many more details of the last week but I will now skip to my specific thoughts from yesterday and today.

Thoughts of Corona are never far away.  A dear 96 year old who was recently treated for pneumonia in January requiring an extended stay at a skilled nursing facility awoke with a cough, weakness and confusion.  Her daughter called and we discussed how aggressive they wanted to be. Even without the threat of Corona looming, she did not want to take her mother back to the hospital. Together we decided that we would try an antibiotic but would have our hospice nurses see her so that she could stay home for her last days.

Another patient called having had chest pains the day before.  She had been quite anxious due to stress in her life, augmented by concerns for the virus.  Likely this was the cause.  She is 57, smokes and has a family history of heart disease.  A normal stress test two years ago is reassuring but not definitive. Together we talked of doing further testing but agreed that it might be more risky in the current environment to bring her into our health care system. She promised to call if things got worse and we will wait and see.  These are some of the discussions that I have, every day.

At home I worry about bringing anything home. My exposure has been quite limited but as the hospital becomes full, we primary care doctors who still see our own patients in the hospital will step up and essentially become hospitalists. The current ones  will be on the front line for COVID patients and we will take over the care for the other patients.

Do I need to essentially self-quarantine when at home?  Do I sleep in another room? We have not been told the answer to these question but it is likely, "yes". Already I have taken to wearing scrubs at work, changing back into clothes at the end of the day after showering at the office.

My faith has been an anchor to my soul.  Yes, I feel stress and I worry but "I know in whom I have trusted. God will be my support."  I am grateful to be of service to others and will "trust in him with all my heart."  To keep my mind distracted at home, Gina and I have been working on a few projects. We have been painting rooms, creating a grand kid room in the basement and I have started a new puzzle.  I may have to start up a new wood carving as well.  I continue to read from the scriptures daily and prayer is never far from my mind. What do you do to keep sane?

4 comments:

  1. This is great to see your view Dr.Fuller I am definitely thinking of my AI family . Stay well .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike, Todd and I feel like we have been exposed and we are under the weather so we are in our room trying to avoid Mom and Dad. Who would have thought the day would come when we could not go to church or to the temple? We are going to close the flower shop Monday and Todd will have his employees work from home. Coping with binge watching I am afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you president Fuller for your thoughts and your service and your faith . I'm in Oregon thinking about my family in the mid west and in the south and in California . I too have faith in Heavenly Father . He is my strength ,my sanity . AT least I don't have to worry about getting the virus from gas pumps out here there are no self serve gas stations .

    ReplyDelete