Friday, March 27, 2020

Tumultuous Times

Friday March 27, 2020
My mind has not been quiet.  I was up at 4:00 AM just because it wouldn’t stop spinning. Listening to a lecture from George Handley, a BYU Literature Professor who I went to high school with, helped distract my mind.  I have been reading the Book of Mormon in spanish the last few months and finished it today.  How I love that second witness of Jesus Christ.  Gina describes her disquiet as being in her heart, as in “my heart was not good today.”  For sure these are unsettled times.

I kept my mind distracted for most of the day, busy with talking to patients about the rest of their lives that still matter.  “Yes, you can still exercise. Go outside and go for a walk.  Just keep your distance.”  We talked of diabetes and high blood pressure.  We talked about limiting alcohol intake.  One patient stopped going to his AA meetings because they were cancelled.  He agreed to sign up for the virtual one.

I headed to the hospital in the afternoon and ended up seeing patients needing admission for non COVID reasons, kidney failure, kidney infection and a heart attack.  The ER was tense and busy.  Everyone had masks on.  It was a busier than it has been for awhile.  I know that the COVID floors took more admissions today.

The nurses on the floor were awesome.  No one is allowed to have a visitor now unless they are in the last stages of dying.  I saw first hand how the nurses were making sure to reach out to families.  I am often given thanks for “being on the front lines” but I am not alone.  There are nurses and transport workers and the janitorial staff.  We all carry risk of contracting this virus.  I am grateful to all of them. Their courage is quiet but firm, even palpable.

This evening I received notice that a “respiratory clinic” has been approved at Missouri Baptist.  This will be available so that those not sick enough for the hospital can be tested and treated all in a situation where exposure will be minimized and the protective equipment can be used the most efficiently.  This was pioneered at Vanderbilt and should help save lives and keep staff safe.

President Nelson, our prophet and leader of our church has asked that all members fast and pray for the world this coming Sunday in regards to the virus.  We typically fast once a month and as part of our worship, we donate money to help care for the poor and the needy.  Even if you are not a member of my church, I invite you to join with us in asking Heaven’s blessing be upon us all.  Consider donating to your favorite food pantry or charity.  Together with the Lord’s help we will make it through these tumultuous times, of that I am certain.

No comments:

Post a Comment