Saturday, April 4, 2020

A Much Needed Tune Up

Last week while trying to mow my lawn, the mower sputtered, trying to stall every few feet.  I had to pick up the blade to keep it going and as a result it took me forever to mow the lawn.  I was so upset that I had my son research new mowers and even picked one out to order.  Once, I let the emotion drain down a bit, I did remember that I have done this before and this old mower does respond to some loving care.

Giving it one more chance I put to use the skills that I learned as a Boy Scout master when we had the boys earn money for camp by tuning up lawn mowers.  I replaced two of the tires which I had bought last year and never put on. I scraped out mounds of congealed, nasty moldy grass stuck to the underside of the mower.  I changed the oil, sharpened the blade and put gasoline additive in the tank.  To my great pleasure it started right up, whizzed through the yard without a hesitation and even with all the time to tune it up, I finished faster than the week before.

I realize that during the surge of really sick patients that is likely to hit here in St. Louis soon, I and the rest of us taking care of patients will have to be vigilant about making sure that our motors are tuned up.  Writing this blog is a good way for me to process my thoughts, meditate and look for the good in each day.  Exercise can be so easy to push to the side but it is vitally important both physically and mentally.  Taking the time for proper nutrition cannot be overlooked either. I would love to know how to sleep a bit better as I have been waking up at 4:00 AM or sooner on most mornings with my mind spinning in circles.

New Logo Announced tonight
This weekend has been a spiritual tune up for me and the members of my church.  We had three, two hour sessions of what we call General Conference today.  This happens twice a year and is broadcast all over the world.  Usually it is held in the Conference Center in Salt Lake City which holds 20,000 people but this year it was done in a side room with only the speakers present.  The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square had to sit this one out due to social distancing and they used previous recordings for the music.

We do not know all the reasons why such a pandemic is hitting among us but we were reminded that God will always support us in our trials and will be with us as we draw near to Him.  In an uncertain future, I can nevertheless find peace as I put my trust in him with all my heart knowing that He will guide my paths.  This process of finding this peace is like the tuning of the lawn mower and will keep us going even when it seems that everything around us is rough.

1 comment:

  1. We are certainly reading and studying and praying more to know “What would He have Me Do”. Our prayers are with you and your colleagues at The Hospital!

    ReplyDelete