Thursday, April 9, 2020

ICU Eve

I have been anxiously awaiting this upcoming ICU shift that I will start tomorrow night but now that it is almost here, I feel quite calm about it.  For one, I will not be thrown into a chaotic situation on mine own.  I am part of an amazing team of doctors, nurses and other support staff at Missouri Baptist.  It is such a great place to work.  Every hall I walk down, there are people that will look me in the eye, smile and greet me-often by name.  I have made it a goal to do the same every day. Tonight we had another “Town Hall Meeting” for the staff.  It was very similar to last week with a few updates.  It is heartening to see so many people pull together and work to make things happen.  Innovative ideas from others around the country as well as from those in our community are all being considered, vetted and tried out.

Secondly, the ICU census right now is actually down a bit and hospital census has been down a lot.  We are expecting a surge as predicted, but it also appears that our community on the whole is doing a good job of social distancing and following good hygiene practices.  Wouldn’t it be absolutely wonderful if here in St. Louis it just kind of fizzled out?  None of us are counting on it, but for now we are glad to see lower numbers of patients.

Additionally, I am at peace with my life. I am not saying that I am ready to go, far from it.  That said, “I know in whom I have trusted.” Above all else in my life, I cherish my relationship with my Savior Jesus Christ.  He has been and will be my support.  The one burning desire that I have in my bucket list yet to do is to once again be a full time set apart missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ. This time it will be with my precious wife at my side as my companion.  Certainly he will grant such a wish.

Lastly, I know that I have angels by my side.  One of my favorite Old Testament stories involve the Prophet Elisha.  At the time fo the story they were at war with Syria. One morning, his servant came running, reporting that the city was surrounded by the enemy.  Elisha answered, “Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.  And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha” (2 Kings 6:16-17).  I know that I have my father and other angels that will watch over me.

In reality, I am grateful for the chance to help out where I can.  With the extra time that I have had these last few days, I have been busy around the house.  It is simply time to go see patients that need my help.  Let me just say thank you to all who are taking this virus seriously and are making a huge difference.  We are getting through this and the only was is to do it together.  Whether it be those that we work with, our friends and neighbors, our family or our God, we are all in this together. We are a team.

No comments:

Post a Comment