Monday, April 6, 2020

You Are Welcome!

It is hard to put in words the conflicting emotions that I am dealing with right now. On one hand, it was nice to have a slow day, especially given the awesome weather.  I was very productive around the house, cleaning out emails that have been sitting in my box way too long, working on our basement project.  The highlight was to go on a bike ride with my wife.  That said, this is not me.  I am not one to be idle, I much prefer to be seeing patients, being busy and making a difference in someone’s life.  I work with an amazing team of people at the office.  We still work together, but remotely.  It just isn’t the same.  They constantly make me smile and keep me humble.  I am blessed to have them be a part of my life.  

Now that all being said, at noon today we had a zoom meeting for us doctors who are going to be helping out in the ICU.  One of the ICU physicians gave us a crash course on how their experience has been with patients with COVID-19.  It made things seem very real, very quick.  My partner is doing our first shift tonight. I am anxious to see how it goes for him.  I will be doing mine at the end of the week.  I am sure once I get started, it will start to feel more normal.  We are being told that the peak in St. Louis is due to hit in about 2-3 weeks.  I hope that it is not longer than that.

Today on our bike ride we saw many of these signs expressing gratitude to healthcare workers.  I don’t feel qualified to receive that thanks but on behalf of the doctors that I work with, especially the ones in the ER and ICU, I say “Your are welcome!”  It is nice to be appreciated, no doubt. The key is to keep people alive long enough so that their body can recover from the infection.  Even more important is to prevent as many people from getting it in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment